Saturday, March 1, 2014

Krewe D'etat

 Oh man, I'm deep in the mad dash of Mardi Gras now. For most of the year, all the floats I paint are crammed together like this:

I spend all year performing harrowing balancing acts on top of extension ladders, sweating through the summer, freezing through the winter, breathing in paint fumes, and trying my damnedest not to get paint on everything I own, all for a show that lasts 2 hours. 2 hours and then they're tucked back into their slots at the den, all to be deconstructed and whited out for the next year. There's only about an hour window of good light once they get them lined up, so yesterday was a wild flurry of picture taking.

I took many more than this, but for now, I'm just posting the floats that I personally painted. For more images (and a very flattering review from Doug McCash) check out the Time Picayune article. Rob Ford with the smoke machine hooked up to his crack pipe is truly wonderful. 

And mad props to Ryan Blackwood for designing the floats. It's a pleasure to paint when the content is this good.


"Ladies' Night"

"Ladies' Night"


"Ladies' Night"

"Manhattan on the Rocks"


"Manhattan on the Rocks"

"Manhattan on the Rocks"



"Manhattan on the Rocks"


"Know When to Say When"

"Know When to Say When"

"Know When to Say When"

"Body Shot"

"Body Shot"

"Body Shot"

"Body Shot"

"Body Shot"

"Last Call"


"Last Call"

"Last Call"

"Last Call"


"Zombie"

"Zombie"


"Zombie"


"Zombie"

"Zombie"


No comments: