Thursday, March 6, 2014

Mermaid Gras and Soggy Gras

I mentioned in a previous post that I would be decorating a wedding cake for a couple getting married on Mardi Gras dressed as merpeople. I'm pretty happy with the results, especially considering the whirlwind that was Lundi Gras.

The mercouple and fish are made out of gumpaste, painted with luster dust and food coloring:


 
I poured white chocolate into seashell candy molds, then dusted them in edible gold pearl dust.



Here's a few photos of the happy couple on Mardi Gras day, complete with their own float and legion of fish folk:












As far as my own Mardi Gras festivities, this was one of the coldest and wettest Carnivals on record. It stayed in the 20's and 30's all day and never. stopped. raining. I got a few pictures of me before leaving the house, but not much past that, because I pooped out early. In no time I was sopping wet and shivering uncontrollably, and my costume was meeeelting.  Mardi Gras is about enjoying yourself, not forcing an outdoor activity when it's just miserable. So instead it because a sazeracs in the hot tub sort of day. Sometimes nature wins. Though it does further inspire me to make a hardcore waterproof nobody's-raining-on-MY-parade costume some time in the future, just to have in the back of my closet for these sort of occasions.

2 comments:

Donna said...

OHHHH MYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOD!!!! like like like

Donna said...

OHHHH MYYYY GOOOOOOOD like like like