Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Proteus Ball Invitation 2015

This year, I got the opportunity to do the ball invitation for the Krewe of Proteus. Their invitations have a long tradition, going back to the 1800's, of being lush, elaborate works of art. Most aspects of Mardi Gras production are on a tight schedule, but this time I got to take my time and make something more subtle and painterly than I normally have a chance to do.

I will post more explaining the theme after the parade rolls on Lundi Gras (February 16th), and I am able to post images of the floats and the original designs. Until then, I'll simply say that the theme is "Nature of the Beasts". For the invitation, I represented the King of Proteus as a seahorse, since that is the official symbol of the parade. The various animals seen inside and on the inserts are references to certain floats from this year's designs.

Enjoy!


Invitation folded


Invitation unfolded


Back of invitation


Insert


Ladies' ticket


Gentlemen's ticket